Castillo de Guadalerzas

348 days ago, 370 views
The castle of Guadalerzas is a fortification of defensive character that is in the Spanish municipality of Los Yébenes , in the province of Toledo. For centuries the castle was used as a hospital. It is located in the valley of the Guadalerzas, 18 kilometers from the town of Los Yébenes. The fortress is located in the Toledo municipality of Los Yébenes, in the autonomous community of Castilla-La Mancha . The structure consisted of an enclosure formed by a quadrangular wall , a tower on each corner and a central courtyard. At present the few remains that have been preserved remain hidden under a mound. On the Arab architecture there are later additions to the construction that the Christians made during more than eight centuries. The castle was built by the Arabs during the occupation of the peninsula at a strategic point to defend the route to Cordoba . This route between the mountains had a vital importance for trade since Roman times. For its defense the castle was built in the gorge of the congosto. In the eleventh century the Castilian king-lions Alfonso VI took Toledo and this castle became a border place to be disputed for centuries between Christians and Muslims. In century XII it happened to comprise of the possessions of the order of calatrava that defended the border in front of the Muslims. The Order of Calatrava founded the hospital of Godalferga there. After the battle of Alarcos in 1195 it returned to Muslim hands, but definitely with the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa in 1212 the territory was recovered for the crown of Castile.

Comments

No comments found.

SPONSORS